Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Dear Mr. President

Dear Mr. President,
It hasn't even been two weeks since you've left the office, yet I miss you. Like crazy ex-girlfriend miss you. As I think back on the first week of a Trump presidency, my heart is heavy. Sometimes I catch myself thinking, or maybe hoping, that this is all just a very bad dream and that I'll wake up soon. However, what I've come to realize is that this is actually a very slow, very real train wreck that we're all being forced to watch, and I'm just hopeful that things won't be as bad as they seem.

Saying goodbye to you and your family was surprisingly personal to me. I suppose this makes sense since you have been president for most of my adult-voting life, and therefore I'm bound to have some attachments.  I know that it is not just my loathing for our new leader that made your exit sad- I would've been just as upset to see you go had Hillary been your replacement. To me, you represented a new kind of hope. For the first time, I felt that my beliefs were truly being represented, and by a minority like me, no less! Your poise, kindness, wisdom, and joy in representing the American people always made me feel proud to be an American. And don't even get me started on how much I love and idolize your wife.

I know that as president, there were times when you were not perfect, and many have criticized you for being nothing more than a good orator. And while I do agree that you are a great speaker, I think that your actions and success were also something to be applauded. Unfortunately, the thoughts and beliefs that we share were a divisive factor for others. After all, it is hatred and anger that catapulted a thin-skinned businessman into the most prestigious office in our land. From the Election Day forward, I knew that things would be different now. I've felt many emotions since this day ranging from anger to fear to unbearable sadness. But ultimately, I was back to feeling not only that I wasn't being represented, but that everything I stand for and believe in was on the chopping block where a clueless man waited with a butcher knife held in his tiny hands.


As I watched Don taking the presidential oath on January 20th, I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. I've never watched the show, but I imagine it to be a very confusing place. In all the days since, it's been one jaw-dropping action after another. Even my husband, who is typically quiet about politics, has been fired up by the shocking actions of our Commander in Chief. As I marched with thousands of other Coloradans in protest of the Prez and his outlandish pledges to take away women's rights, burn bridges with our foreign allies, make it okay to be racist, and build that damn wall, he spent hours defending the size of his inauguration crowd. To be fair, size does matter...like the fact that the size of the Women's March was the largest protest our world has ever seen. And despite all this, he sent out Sean Spice Girl, not to address this massive protest, but to tell us that he's the best, (didn't you know he WON?) period. Seriously?


The craziness continues as he allows our environment to be destroyed in the name of business and creating jobs, (jobs for a Canadian company, I might add), blocks the EPA from communicating, threatens Chicago with "the Feds", cries about voter fraud in an election that he already won, pisses off our neighbors in Mexico, lies about who will pay for his stupid wall, hangs up on the Australian Prime Minister, and to top it all off, bans immigrants to "protect" us, and fires those who dare question his judgement. To this list of nonsensical executive actions, I'd like to add that just because you don't like the news being reported, does NOT make it fake. Also, an alternative fact is not a thing. Talk about a long week.

What bothers me the most is knowing that there are people out there that are actually in favor of all of these moves. They talk about being an American and that all lives matter, yet they are quick to turn a blind eye to the Iranian immigrant who is working hard and just wants to be a part of something better. Why? Because he is different than them. All I keep thinking is how shameful it is for us to chalk this up to "being American." When did we become so disrespectful to one another? How is it even possible to be so full of anger and hatred to an entire group of people? And when did it become the norm to spew profanities towards one other? Until we can respectfully listen to one another and truly work towards compromise, nothing is going to get better. As I say when I call my representatives each day, you are not your party. Just because you lean towards a certain side on one issue, doesn't mean that you can't switch sides on another. Nothing is that black and white, nor should it be. I can only hope that these lines of division will soon start to blur.

As I'm winding down this letter, I want you to know that despite all of the negative energy that pervades our country right now, your message and legacy still remain.  The morning before we marched, we watched the video below.


Fired Up from Dan Fipphen on Vimeo.

I was quickly brought to tears with your reminder that even in these times of serious fear, doubt, and anger, we DO have the power to do something positive- to stay informed, to call our representatives, to protest, to volunteer, to be active and responsible citizens no matter what side of the aisle we are on. I feel that I owe this to the hundreds of students that I have taught, to my grandparents and great grandparents who immigrated to this country to give my family a better life, and to the thousands of women and men before me who have fought for our rights. With the help of 5 Calls, I've made daily contact with all three of my representatives, and even have their numbers saved in my phone. And so, for what will likely not be the last time, thank you, Mr. President. Thank you for inspiring me to stay optimistic, for reminding me that my voice makes a difference, and for giving me the audacity of hope.

I'm fired up! And ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment