Sunday, August 11, 2013

Call Me Maybe

Alerts on my phone give me heart palpitations. So do people that tell me that they are, "Bad at using their phones." Yeah, welcome to 2013. Thanks to technology I can have 10 conversations at one time which usually turns into texting gossip to the wrong person (which of course I never do). I literally start sweating when I see I have a voicemail, because no one leaves voicemails these days unless it's serious like, "You have a hair appointment next Tuesday." Social media brought a whole new boatload of confusion to communication as in, I will totally be LinkedIn to you, but no way would I friend you on Facebook. But if you're my friend on Facebook, I only want you to have my gmail account, and not my hotmail account. Yikes, when did talking to people get so hard!

Your phone is great, but it also makes things confusing. I feel like you used to like a guy, talk to them, and they would call you. Now it's like you only get a call when it's serious. Texting is super convenient, but also maybe a little unreal, ie: I can sit and think about how to respond rather than just giving you my foot in mouth reaction. I can also say things that I would never say to your face. I might even play the little game where I wait to text you back so as to appear more aloof. I also find that when I text someone I get ticked that they haven't texted me back (this is especially true when I'm texting a friend that I know has their phone literally as an extra appendage. Don't screen me honey). How are you supposed to know if the 4g network has failed, or they are out on their bowling team, or they are asleep, or maybe they just aren't attached to their phone! You can check your Facebook to see if they have messaged you there, or maybe you missed an email so you should probably check that too. You can even keep track of what time the communication was sent and if the reader has in fact read it or not. This is enough to make a girl crazy! All of the sudden you have turned into this totally insane person who is afraid to even look at their phone or turn on their computer because all that will be there is a message from mom and your phone will be thrown across the room. While ranting about this to a friend, she reminded me of this scene from He's Just Not That Into You:

 
She totally has my sympathy. 

My friend recently told me that he called a girl to say he couldn't meet up and she thanked him for actually calling her. It makes me sad that this is something we have to be thankful for now. I guess what I'm trying to say is that when in doubt, you should probably just call- it's easier than texting a paragraph and I like to dance to my ringtone. That or you should only text in hashtagged phrases, because that's just fun. #lifeunplugged #imfabulous

No comments:

Post a Comment