Monday, January 23, 2012

Conservative Liberalism


Recently, I came across a book by the title Conservative Comebacks for Liberal Lies. While my first instinct was to vomit on site, I have to admit the book made me think. Of course my first thought was “Who the f*ck writes this stuff?” but then let’s be honest, someone is writing this because people will buy it. I love how both conservatives and liberals try and sell things. There is an instant stereotype for the conservative aka “Hey pal, why don’t you come thump bibles with me while we go pump some oil with our twin NRA hats on.” And then you also have the liberal alternative of “Hey sugarplum, have you harvested our wheat grass today so that we can walk barefoot down to the peace demonstration?” You laugh, but honestly no matter what side you are on, don’t you find entertainment in just how stupid your opponent is?

I think my favorite part of the conservative/liberal movement is how people express their ideas. This is especially fun when two people from opposing beliefs try and have a discussion. I would just like to be clear, here and now, that no matter how loud you raise your voice, how hard you hit the table, or how many points you can come up with on your fingers, you are never going to change anyone’s  mind. You’d think that people would’ve figured out by now that arguing with someone isn’t exactly the best way to convert them to your side of the aisle. Uh yeah, actually that just makes them hate you even more.

In my mind there are only two ways that we can solve this:
1.       Everybody needs to stop talking about politics
2.       Our politicians need to actually do what we elected them to do (novel concept yes?)

So be you liberal or conservative, I only ask you this: only vote if you’re informed, otherwise we don’t need your dumb opinion anyway. Oh yeah, and don’t buy stupid books.

1 comment:

  1. I would also add on #2 that we need to get the money out of politics so our politicians will actually think about the people who elected them and not about their potential paychecks.

    ReplyDelete