Sunday, January 29, 2012

Losing my Religion...Advertisements


People keep asking me about the “I am Mormon” billboards that are posted around town. They say things like “Hey why are they doing that?” or “What’s the point of having those up everywhere?” This just plum irritates me. Just because I’m from Utah does not mean that I have a strong relationship with the advertising executives at the Mormon compound. If I did know who these people were, I would tell them that their ads are causing a backfire and people now think they are weirder than before. Advertising your religion is in my opinion not a very good idea, and here is why:

1.       You can’t explain to people why you are advertising a life choice and belief system in 30 seconds.
2.       Let’s be honest, do you really want to claim the crazy people that say they belong to the same religion as you? (Insert polygamist joke here)
3.       The church crowd may get a little rowdy when they realize that their donations are going to billboards that will inevitably get mocked or spray painted.
4.       Your slogan should not be so close to “I am an alcoholic.”
5.       Again, people think you’re weird. 

 The next time someone asks me about these ads I think I’ll just play dumb and turn on a Donnie and Marie album, perhaps they can explain it to us.

1 comment:

  1. There's a great article that was in the Sunday Denver Post, and it's all about pop culture's take on Mormonism and how it is showing up everywhere, from the billboard ads to "The Book of Mormon," and to TV shows. If you want, I can e-mail you the link.

    I do think that having your religion out there will subject you to plenty of ridicule and may even threaten the vitality of your religion. I also get sick of people asking me Mormon questions or questions about Mormons, because although I am from Utah, I'm not Mormon and have no idea what they think or want in this case...

    ReplyDelete