Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Musically Inclined


I’m not afraid to admit that I love listening to the oldies radio station. Perhaps this is because in the small southern Utah town that I grew up in there were only three radio stations- country, easy listening, and oldies. I started thinking about my musical tastes when I was shuffling through my ipod the other day and noticed that my music says quite a lot about me. 1. Apparently I have a small addiction to Christmas tunes 2. Jay Z can in fact play encore to the Dixie Chicks and 3. I listen to a lot of music brought to you by my parents.
  
Now I know that parents have a large influence on their kids, (frightening for some which I can legally say because I’m a teacher) but who would’ve thunk that because my dad grooves to Santana and my mom rocks to Whitney Houston that I would suddenly become the crazy chick singing along to The Supremes? I guess it’s kind of interesting to think about why it is that you listen to the music that you do, especially when music says so much about who a person is. We know we’ve inherited hair and eye color, but perhaps an ear for classics as well? I guess this is okay because at least I don’t try to attempt my dad’s sweet dance moves which involve pouting your lips and pretending to jog in place at a rather slow pace which is exaggerated on the beats (my dad is so cool). I suppose as long as I don’t turn into the guy with the unbuttoned shirt and flowing white locks at the Crosby Stills and Nash concert (he also had cutoff jean shorts, true story) then I can continue to rock (in the free world). And for the record, yes, that is Paul McCartney.

No comments:

Post a Comment