Sunday, March 4, 2012

Catholic Guilt


Nothing says Catholic guilt like the season of Lent. I consider myself to be recuperating from religion and have led myself to a path of personal spirituality, one that doesn’t involve church or pastors or people telling you that you are wrong. However, when Lent rolls around again, something inside me stirs and signals that I must make a commitment to give something up for the next 40 days and 40 nights. I guess I like the idea of it, you know, making a sacrifice for the better good. And I try to give something else that will make me a better person too. In the past I have abstained from:
·         Drinking coffee (Only made it 5 days…it was awful, won’t try that again)
·         My Nsync CD (you’re only 13 once)
·         Sweets
·         Shopping
·         Sweets
Yes, I realize sweets are on there twice, but they are extremely challenging for me. I could be like my boyfriend who gives up climbing trees every year (roll eyes). Or my dad who gives up things like watermelon or washing dishes. Yet something has been tattooed into my mind that says this is serious. Believe me, I cursed it as I looked at a cupcake today and thought, “I hate Lent, I don’t even go to church, and now I can’t have sweets either!” Grrr. Well, I guess I only have 28 days left to go so I better make the best of it, and hopefully I can break a bad habit as well. Good luck to the rest of you Lent-ers! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment