Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Expelliarmus!


I am fabulous and I love Harry Potter. That’s right, I said it, and no I am not ashamed. There are some that may think that Harry Potter is just a series of books made for small children, and I have one word for these people- wrong. Now I know that I’m addicted and that I have a bias, but I swear, Harry Potter offers lessons that will help you in live a more fruitful life. They are as follows:

1.       Good always wins. I saw a bumper sticker that reinforced this. It said “Voldemort votes Republican.” ‘Nuff said.
2.       Friends help you get through life. What would Harry have done without Hermione and her trusty knowledge of spells and little purse full of magic (a bag so fab even Coach couldn't make it)? Or Ron with his quick wit and “bloody ‘ell’s”? Harry simply couldn’t have survived.
3.       Old people are wise. Professor Dumbledore said perhaps the wisest thing I have ever heard, “Just because it’s in your head Harry, doesn’t mean it isn’t real.” That is good shit my friends, think about it, it’s Yoda-good.
4.       Everything sounds better with a British accent. You may not think this is a life lesson, but see how much better people listen when you have an accent. I practice mine while pretending to cast spells. Try saying “Wingardium Leviosa” without an accent, it’s just plum silly.
5.       Even when the odds are stacked against you, if you believe you can succeed. Harry proves this in many ways throughout the seven miraculous books. This is a kid who has no parents, a jerk of an uncle that makes him live under the stairs (a closet which I fully intend on putting in my own house someday as a possible HP shrine), an all-powerful evil wizard trying to kill him, and a tool named Draco always causing him grief. All this doesn’t matter however, because Harry is a bad ass and he believes.

While I could go on for hours, I think people may stop reading my pro-wizard rant. I will just end by sayings that if you haven’t read the books, get on that bandwagon.  If you, like me, cried when the saga was over, be sure to pass on this great love on to anyone that will listen.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. All of your points are true! Your HP soulmate, Mitchell, loved it, too and agrees completely. However, the non-HP nut, Amalia, thinks we are nerds.

    ReplyDelete